Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Haji P Interview













Can you list a few things for everyone out there to get to know you better? If it was my list it would look something like this: Puff Daddy back up vocals, Michael Jordan mid range jumpers over Craig Ehlo and the "Trapped In The Closet" series by R. Kelly.


I can easily be summed up by watching either one of these fine televised situation comedies: The Cosby Show, Three's Company, Martin, The Fresh Prince, Homeboys in Outerspace, The Muppet Show, Sanford & Son, and Good Times...and then listening to the entire M.O.P. catalog.


You lived in Jersey City, Wilmington N.C. and Hawaii, how have your travels helped or hurt you musically?

It was definitely only to my benefit... and easily the leading influence on my character as a rapper and person. Being from Hawaii, I was raised in an atmosphere where the culture was primarily Asian. In Jersey City, it was typical hood life, both positive and negative. Then, moving to the south, I found out racism was real as hell! That's when ish got funky...and I make it all blatantly obvious in my music!

You worked for a radio station earlier in your career, what did that teach you about the rap game?

It taught me that there's a bajillion rappers in the world who preface their names with "Young," and "Lil!" More importantly tho, it taught me how to understand the difference between "music" and "entertainment." Which is something I think most rappers (especially on some underground ish) need to learn.

How is it working with the rest of the Rec League guys?

Its cool. I mean, the hours are long, and they dont provide dental...but as a whole, it's a great rap establishment to be apart of.

I read on your website that Sean Price stole your cell phone from you when you were on stage. Care to elaborate?

Long story short; I left my phone on stage, he took it, I called it, he told me he took it and threatened to call somebody in Africa, we met up, I got it back... If I tell you everything, nobody will read about it when I write the full story on my website.

I also read that you have a pretty decent Shock G story?

I'd like to think of it as him having a pretty decent Haji P story.

Not to change the subject to much but what are your thoughts on our newest president?

I think he's a pretty tall guy. I would imagine its fairly easy for him to grab things off the top shelf.


Your song "Quarter Water" was the first song of yours that I heard. Care to explain anything about the song? How long did it take to write? Where were you when you wrote it?

That song is definitely my "Bust A Move!" For the one or two people who actually enjoy my music, "Quarter Water" always tends to be the favorite. I'm considering releasing an album with 12 different versions of that song. To include an 80's pop mix, featuring Paula Abdul and DJ Cat.

Quarter Water is a lot more personal than most of what I write. Mainly I do a lot of story teller raps. But that song kinda came at an intense moment of, "Dang, I really want a be a rapper!" I straight up ditched work to write it. I drove off in the radio stations vehicle, about 20 minutes outside of Wilmington, parked in a gas station, sat in the drivers seat and started writing. It didn't really have a hook until a week later when i pulled into the driveway of the studio to record it.

I gotta give a big shout out to Greenville, SC. They've always showed that song an insurmountable load of love. It was one of those jammys that I could literally just hold the mic to the crowd to. Thanks, Greenville.

Before I let you go, what should your fans be looking forward to in Haji P's near future?

Im dropping a full length solo lp with DJ MF Shalem called "Neighborhood Kid" in February. If I had to rate it on a scale of 1 to 10, it would be The Terminator. So, you should probably get it when it comes out.

Be sure to check out this dope MC who hails out of my home town Santa Cruz. You can find him on his website HERE.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Like the interview, great job of revealing your self, but also leaving out enough information to heighten curiosity ( leave us asking hmm! hajip huh, think i'll check him out). loved the non political answer about the president. I give this interview 2 thumbs up.