Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Blaq Poet: Voices

I can't believe I haven't put this song on yet! I heard it around 3 years ago and is def my favorite BP song. The song was produced by DJ Premier so you know the beats gonna be top notch. The eerie beat is def what draws you into this song and Blaq's lyrics keep you listening. Throughout the song Blaq hears "voices" of rappers who've died (Tupac, Biggie, Eazy E, Big Pun, Big L, O.D.B. and so on). Blaq's consumption of Hennessy is causing these "voices" ("I'm hearin voices, gotta stop drinkin' that Henney, I know that sh** is poison"). He proceeds through the first 2 verses rapping as if he was Tupac and then as if he was Biggie. The verse with Tupac's "voice" talks about how people focused on the negative lyrics he wrote about and not the positive and how people act out those negative songs in real life. "All these n****'s tryin' to live thug life, they didn't listen when i was spittin' on the mic, all they heard was Makeveli the great, they didn't hear when I was comin' in a positive way, like "Keep Ya' Head Up" and "Brenda With A Baby", n****'s just love to think that I was crazy". Biggie's "voice" talks about how he's disappointed with New York rap, how Puffy hustled him in a way for money and he also mentions Jay-Z. "Looks like ya' n****'s gotta go harda and f.y.i. I'm pissed at Sean Carter". Def give this song a listen. Great beat, great lyrics and a great concept.

No comments: