Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Ask Grieves

For my second interview I have a young MC that goes by the name of Grieves. Albeit new to the underground rap scene Grieves has already made quite an impression on a lot of people, including one of his good buddies, Mac Lethal. I asked Grieves if he'd be down to be interviewed and he responded, "As long as you ask me sweet off the wall questions. I'm tired of the run of the mill hip hop questions". He also added "ask me fun stuff", so somewhere throughout this interview I hope I've achieved a balance between fun and professional.



















Any other skills besides rockin' the mic and provoking the ladies on stage?

hell yes! despite my toothpick appearance..i love food. so i've developed quite the skills in culinary yum yums over the years. that and i worked in kitchens for my whole life....
other than that... i'm pretty accurate with a javelin, i can hold my breath for like a minute and 30 seconds, i can out run murder dice.

The first time I heard you my initial thought was that you had an atmosphere esque style. How do you feel about that comparison?
no.. i've never been to space.. i heard the russians used to send monkeys up there...

You say on your myspace page that you like "missing punches". Explain.
i got drunk, the hippie talked shit, i missed the punch, we all laughed, he may have been an alien... may have...


If you could choose a character from the movie Office Space, who would you say fits you best?

i'm not old enough to see r rated movies... but if i had to guess.. i'd say i'd be simba.

Having lived in Seattle, what do you think about the Sonics moving to Oklahoma City?
who gives a shit?


I heard through your myspace page that you're moving to San Diego. Why the change of scenery?
i'm going down there to spend some time saving beached manatee's.. that and i like the sun.. and.. my roommates in seattle smell like smoked meat and moth balls.

Blonde's or brunettes?

both at the same time...


Scar Gardens is my favorite song of yours and I'm guessing it's about an ex. Does she know the songs about her?

oh she knows...

Ren or Stimpy?

did you know whales can grow to be a 100 years old?


What's your favorite cartoon from the 90's?

barbra walters

Ever been so drunk that it made performing hard (referring to performing on stage)?

every single fucking time...

If you were a male stripper, what would your stage name be?

david copafeel


What's your take on the DH and astro turf?

if there's grass on the field play ball.

What's your biggest personality flaw?

i get nervous when people watch me eat..

Out of all the things you own, whats your most prized possession?

my Michael jordan rookie card.. covered in syrup.. i'm serious.


You just recently were on tour, what's the best story you took home with you?

cinco de mayo.. i did a shot for every song on stage.. blacked out.. got in a fight with a lesbian crip who kept calling me fag... and almost got arrested at the airport for stealing the wheel chair and doing wheelies in it.

Your first name is Ben, your rap name is Grieves, being from the Bay Area I remember a guy who's name was Ben Grieve that played for the Oakland A's. I'm guessing thats where the name Grieves came from. Why Ben Grieve?

because everything that isn't can't be! and everything that is can't not be!
i don't watch baseball.

After the interview was over me and Grieves exchanged a couple more emails and maybe one too many "I love yous". We promised each other that we'd hang out when he's touring through Salt Lake City. Grieves added, "nothin says fun like 3.2 beer and flat chested emo chicks!... just kidding", the only problem is, I don't live in Salt Lake and I'm pretty sure Grieves knows this. The jokes don't stop with this guy and I'm sure it'll be one of the many reason we'll all be talking about Grieves for days to come. Also be sure to check out Grieves on his myspace page and buy his new cd "88 Keys and Counting" when it comes out November 12th.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You should go to the Louis Logic show at Urban Lounge on Sunday, August 24th because it will be fantastical.

Doje said...

this guy's a donley